When to take 5 htp mdma
- 500 to 1,500 mg L-tryprophane
- 50 to 100 mg of 5-HTP
- 0.5 to 1 mg of melatonin
Another combination would be 5-HTP with St. John's wort:
- 300 to 350 mg St. John's wort extract 3 times a day (standardized to 0.3 percent hypericin and 2 to 3 percent hyperforin)
- 50-100 mg 5-HTP 3 times a day
Of course, these intake protocols are not recommendations for intake, but merely options for intake that you need to discuss with your doctor or alternative practitioner. Because only they can assess together with you which combination and dose is the right one for you personally.
In particular, if you are taking medication, you must clarify whether you are taking 5-HTP with your therapist, as 5-HTP can interact with a number of medications, especially antidepressants, of course, but also with triptans (migraine medication), Parkinson's medication, some pain relievers and many others more.
If you suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, liver or kidney diseases or other chronic diseases, you should also consult your doctor.
5-HTP should not be used if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Children should not get 5-HTP - and if they do, only in consultation with the pediatrician.
possible side effects
Due to its mechanism of action, 5-HTP can lead to digestive complaints such as nausea, stomach ache, gas, bloating or even heartburn, but this can usually be prevented by starting with low doses, dividing them into several single doses per day, increasing them slowly, too high Avoid doses and take 5-HTP with food.
An overdose of 5-HTP could also trigger serotonin syndrome, which is a result of too much serotonin. Symptoms would be restlessness, sudden muscle twitches, chills, sweating, and tremors and should take the person to a doctor.
The Peak X scandal
In 1989, the suspicion arose that preparations with L-tryptophan could have caused the so-called eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS) in around 1,500 people in the USA (and 500 in Germany) - a previously almost unknown disease. which manifested itself in severe muscle pain, skin changes and sometimes irreversible organ damage and is said to have led to death in twelve cases.
However, the real culprit wasn't the L-tryptophan itself, but possibly a contamination of it with a neurotoxic by-product called tryptophan-4,5-dione, sometimes referred to as peak X.
The reason for this contamination is said to have been a certain manufacturing process with genetically engineered microorganisms. The then Japanese manufacturer Showa Denko then - so it is said - destroyed the genetic microorganisms. However, it was never completely clarified whether it was actually the said impurities that had led to the EMS cases.
5-HTP preparations seem to be safer in this regard, as they are not made with the help of microorganisms, but from the African black bean. Nevertheless, it was once said that some 5-HTP preparations contained Peak X or led to EMS. However, the amounts of Peak X contained - if they were present at all - were so small that only extremely high overdoses could have led to a health problem.
In 2004 one read in Toxicology Letters:
"Despite the worldwide use of 5-HTP, there have been no events [in the last 20 years] that could have indicated the toxicity of 5-HTP. Extensive analyzes of very different 5-HTP sources revealed no toxic contamination with those that could be found in L-tryptophan at the time, and no other significant impurities "
Since the actual cause of EMS has never been clarified, one could also assume that such an L-tryptophan and 5-HTP scandal came at just the right time for the pharmaceutical industry. Finally, from around 1988 to 2003, this brought the first serotonin reuptake inhibitors onto the market. B. Fluoxetine (1988 in the USA, 1990 in Germany).
They wanted to sell these, of course, which might not have been so successful if there had still been L-tryptophan and 5-HTP, which of course could no longer be prescribed after the Peak X incidents. L-tryptophan was banned completely in the USA.
Check with your 5-HTP dealer how pure their product is and whether it is guaranteed to be Peak X-free.
It's not just 5-HTP that increases serotonin levels
Since we take a holistic view of things, we do not recommend using just a single isolated material, such as B. 5-HTP, and hope that it will have an all-encompassing effect and cure. Instead, we recommend combining several naturopathic measures, which in their entirety not only focus on individual symptoms, but also help the entire organism to regain its healthy balance.
A healthy intestinal flora is also crucial if one suffers from depression, as a diseased intestinal flora can lower the serotonin level: Intestinal flora influences serotonin levels
* This article contains advertising. Our website contains affiliate links (* mark), i.e. references to partner companies, for example to the Amazon website. If a reader clicks on an affiliate link and subsequently on a product from our partner company, we may receive a small commission. With this we cover part of the costs we have for the operation and maintenance of our website and we can keep the website free for our readers.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Hinz M et al. 5-HTP efficacy and contraindications, Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat, 2012 July, (5-HTP efficacy and contraindications)
- Titus F et al., 5-Hydroxytryptophan versus methysergide in the prophylaxis of migraine. Randomized clinical trial. Eur Neurol, 1986, (5-HTP versus methysergide in the prophylaxis of migraines, a randomized clinical study)
- Borani? M et al., Suppression of the immune response by drugs interfering with the metabolism of serotonin, Experientia., 15 Oct 1984; 40 (10): 1153-5, (Suppression of the immune response by drugs that impair serotonin metabolism)
- Takahashi S. Reduction of blood platelet serotonin levels in manic and depressed patients., Folia Psychiatrica et Neurologica Japonica. 1976; 30 (4): 475-86, (reduction of the blood platelet serotonin level in manic depressive patients)
- Zmilacher K et al., L-5-hydroxytryptophan alone and in combination with a peripheral decarboxylase inhibitor in the treatment of depression. Neuropsychobiology 1988: 20 (1): 28-33, (L-5-hydroxytryptophan alone and in combination with peripheral carboxylase inhibitor in the treatment of depression)
- Dakshinamurti K et al., Nonparallel changes, in brain monoamines of pyridoxine deficient growing rats. Experimental Brain Research, 23 Nov 1976; 26 (4): 355-66, (non-parallel changes in brain monoamines in adolescent rats with pyridoxine deficiency)
- Hartvig P et al., Pyridoxine effect on synthesis rate of serotonin in the monkey brain measured with positron emission tomography., Journal of Neural Transmission, General Section, 1995; 102 (2): 91-7, (Pyridoxine effect on serotonin Synthesis rate in the monkey brain, measured with positron emission tomography (PET))
- Dakshinamurti K et al., Influence of B vitamins on binding properties of serotonin receptors in the CNS of rats, Klinische Wochenschrift, 19 Jan 1990; 68 (2): 142-5, (Influence of B vitamins on the binding properties of the serotonin receptors in the CNS of the rat)
- Siow YL et al., Effect of pyridoxine deficiency on aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase in adult rat brain. Experimental Brain Research, 1985; 59 (3): 575-81, (effect of pyridoxine deficiency on aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase in the adult rat brain)
- Jacobsen MB et al., Cardiac manifestations in mid-gut carcinoid disease. European Heart Journal, Feb 1995; 16 (2): 263-8, (manifestation on the heart in carcinoid diseases of the midgut (mesodaeum))
- Lehnert H et al., Increased release of brain serotonin reduces vulnerability to ventricular fibrillation in the cat. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology Oct 1987; 10 (4): 389-97, (Increased brain serotonin release decreases susceptibility to ventricular fibrillation in cats)
- Robiolio PA et al., Carcinoid heart disease: Correlation of high serotonin levels with valvular abnormalities detected by cardiac catheterization and echocardiography. Circulation 1995; 92: 790-795, (Carcinoid heart diseases: association of high serotonin levels with cardiac valve abnormalities, recognized by cardiac catheters and EKG)
- Hoshino Y et al., Serum serotonin levels of normal subjects in physiological state and stress conditions. From the viewpoint of aging, circadian rhythm, ingestion of diet, physical exercise, sleep deprivation and alcohol ingestion. Japanese Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine, Jan 1979; 19: 283-93, (Serum Serotonin Levels of Normal Subjects Regarding Physiological and Stress State. From the Perspective of Aging, Circadian Rhythm, Food Consumption, Exercise, Sleep Deprivation and the Alcohol consumption)
- Lehnert H, Eosinophilia-Myalgia-Syndrome and ingestion of L-tryptophan-containing drugs, Deutsches rzteblatt, 1990; 87 (25-26): A-2065
- Caution: Tryptophan (Kalma, etc.) is back on the market by court order, Arznei-Telegram, October 1996
- Saldanha D et al., Serum Serotonin Abnormality in Depression, Med J Armed Forces India, April 2009, (Serum Serotonin Abnormality in Depression)
- Santucci M et al., L-5-hydroxytryptophan versus placebo in childhood migraine prophylaxis: a double-blind crossover study. Cephalalgia, September 1986, (L-5-HTP versus placebo in the prophylaxis of migraine in children: a double-blind crossover study)
- Serotonin in the gut, depression today, 2014
- 5-Hydroxy-Tryptophan 5-HTP, University of Maryland Medical Center
- 5-HTP, Examine.com
- Angst J et al, The treatment of depression with L-5-hydroxytryptophan versus imipramine. Results of two open and one double-blind study, Archives for Psychiatry and Nervous Diseases, 1977; 224: 175186, (The treatment of depression with L-5-hydroxitryptophan versus imipramine. Results of two open and one double-blind study)
- Attele AS et al, Treatment of insomnia: an alternative approach, Alternative Medicine Review, 2000; 5: 249-259, (Treating Insomnia: An Alternative Approach)
- Birdsall TC, 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor, Alternative Medicine Review, 1998; 3: 271280, (5-hydroxytryptophan: a clinically effective serotonin precursor)
- Byerley WF et al. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a review of its antidepressant efficacy and adverse effects, Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 1987; 7: 127-137, (5-Hydroxytryptophan: A Review of Antidepressant Efficacy and Side Effects)
- Cangiano C et al, Effects of oral 5-hydroxy-tryptophan on energy intake and macronutrient selection in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients, International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, 1998; 22: 648-654, (Effect of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan on energy intake and macronutrient selection in non-insulin-dependent diabetes patients)
- Cangiano C et al, Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1992; 56: 863-867, (Eating Habits and Dietary Compliance in Obese Adult Subjects Treated with 5-Hydroxytryptophan)
- Caruso I et al, Double-blind study of 5-hydroxytryptophan versus placebo in the treatment of primary fibromyalgia syndrome, The Journal of International Medical Research,1990; 18: 201-209, (double-blind study of 5-hydroxytryptophan against a placebo in the treatment of primary fibromyalgia syndrome)
- Cauffield JS, Dietary supplements used in the treatment of depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders,Lippincott's Primary Care Practice, 1999; 3: 290-304, (Dietary supplement used to treat depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders)
- Ceci F et al, The effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan administration on feeding behavior in obese adult female subjects, Journal of Neural Transmission, 1989; 76: 109-117, (The effect of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan administration on eating behavior in obese female subjects)
- Curcio JJ et, The potential of 5-hydroxytryptophan for hot flash reduction: a hypothesis,Alternative Medical Review,2005; 10: 216-21, (The Potential of 5-Hydroxytryptophan for Reducing Hot Flashes: A Hypothesis)
- DeBenedittis G et al, Serotonin precursors in chronic primary headache. A double-blind cross-over study with L-5-hydroxytryptophan vs. placebo, Journal of Neurosurgical Science, 1985; 29: 239-248, (Serotonin precursors in chronic primary headache. A double-blind cross-study with L-5-hydroxytryptophan vs. placebo)
- Elko CJ et al, Zolpidem-associated hallucinations and serotonin reuptake inhibition: a possible interaction, Journal of Toxicology. Clinical Toxicology, 1998; 36: 195-203, (Zolpidem-Related Hallucinations and Serotonin Reuptake Inhibition: A Possible Interaction)
- Freedman RR, Treatment of menopausal hot flashes with 5-hydroxytryptophan, Maturitas, 2010; 65: 383-5, (treatment of menopausal hot flashes with 5-hydroxytryptophan)
- Gardner DM et al, Sumatriptan contraindications and the serotonin syndrome, Annals of Pharmacotherapy,1998; 32: 33-38, (Contraindications to sumatriptan and serotonin syndrome)
- Gendle MH et al, Effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan on a standardized planning task: insight into possible dopamine / serotonin interactions in the forebrain, Human Psychopharmacology, 2013; 28: 270-3, (Effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan on a standardized planning task: insight into possible dopamine / serotonin interactions in the forebrain.)
- Iovieno N et al, Second-tier natural antidepressants: Review and critique, Journal of Affective Disorders, 2010 Jun 24, (Second Level Natural Antidepressants: Review and Criticism)
- Jangid P et al, Comparative study of efficacy of I-5-hydroxytryptophan and fluoxetine in patients presenting with first depressive episode, Asian Journal of Psychiatry,2013; 6: 29-34, (comparative study of the effectiveness of L-5-hydroxytryptophan and fluoxetine in patients with signs of the first depressive effects)
- Joffe RT et al, Co-administration of fluoxetine and sumatriptan: the Canadian experience.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 1997; 95: 551-552, (co-administration of fluoxetine and sumatriptan: the Canadian experience)
- Joly P et al, Development of pseudobullous morphea and scleroderma-like illness during therapy with L-5-hydroxytryptophan and carbidopa, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 1991; 25: 332-333, (development of pseudobullser morphea and scleroderma-like disease during therapy with L-5-hydroxytryptophan and carbidopa)
- Juhl JH, Primary fibromyalgia syndrome and 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan: a 90-day open study, Alternative Medical Review, 1998; 3: 367-375, (Primary fibromyalgia syndrome and 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan: a 90-day open-label study)
- Mason BJ et al, Possible serotonin syndrome associated with tramadol and sertraline coadministration, The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 1997; 31: 175-177 (possible serotonin syndrome associated with tramadol and sertraline co-administration)
- Meyers S, Use of neurotransmitter precursors for treatment of depression, Alternative Medicine Review, 2000; 5: 64-71, (Use of Neurotransmitter Precursors to Treat Depression)
- Perry NK, Venlafaxine-induced serotonin syndrome with relapse following amitriptyline, Postgraduate Medical Journal, 2000; 76: 254, (venlafaxine-induced serotonin syndrome with relapse after amitriptyline)
- Reibring L et al, Uptake and utilization of [beta-11c] 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) in human brain studied by positron emission tomography, Psychiatry Research, 1992; 45: 215-225 (uptake and use of [beta-11c] 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) in the human brain, studied using positron emission tomography)
- Ribeiro CA, L-5-Hydroxytryptophan in the prophylaxis of chronic tension-type headache: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study, Headache, 2000; 40: 451-6, (L-5-Hydroxytryptophan in the prophylaxis of chronic tension headache: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study)
- Shaw K et al, Are tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan effective treatments for depression? A meta-analysis, The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 2002; 36: 488-91, (Are Tryptophan and 5-Hydroxytryptophan Effective Treatments for Depression? A Meta-Analysis)
- Sternberg EM et al, Development of a scleroderma-like illness during therapy with L-5-hydroxytryptophan and carbidopa, The New England Journal of Medicine, 1980; 303: 782-787, (development of scleroderma-like disease during therapy with L-5-hydroxytryptophan and carbidopa)
- Toner LC et al, Central nervous system side effects associated with zolpidem treatment, Clinical Neuropharmacology, 2000; 23: 54-58, (Central nervous system side effects are associated with zolpidem treatment)
- Van Praag HM, Management of depression with serotonin precursors, Biological Psychiatry, 1981; 16: 291-310, (depression management with serotonin precursors)
- Halford JC et al, Serotonergic anti-obesity agents: past experience and future prospects, Drugs, 2011 Dec 3; 71 (17): 2247-55, (Serotonergic anti-obesity agents: past experience and future prospects)
- Halford JC et al, Serotonergic drugs: effects on appetite expression and use for the treatment of obesity, Drugs, 2007; 67 (1): 27-55, (Serotonergic drugs: effect on appetite and treatment benefits in obesity)
- Shaw K et al, Tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan for depression, The Cochrane database of systematic reviews, 2002 (1): CD003198, (Tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan in depression)
- van Praag et al, A pilot study of the predictive value of the probenecid test in application of 5-hydroxytryptophan as antidepressant, Psychopharmacologia, 1972; 25 (1): 14-21, (A pilot study of the predictive value of the probenecid test in the Using 5-hydroxytryptophan as an antidepressant)
- Hinz M et al, 5-HTP efficacy and contraindications. Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment, Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, 2012; 8: 323-328, (5-HTP efficacy and contraindications. Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment)
- Schruers K et al, Acute L-5-hydroxytryptophan administration inhibits carbon dioxide-induced panic in panic disorder patients, Psychiatry research, 2002 Dec 30; 113 (3): 237-43, (Acute L-5-hydroxytryptophan administration suppresses carbon dioxide -induced panic in patients with panic disorder)
- Maron E et al The effect of 5-hydroxytryptophan on cholecystokinin-4-induced panic attacks in healthy volunteers, Journal of psychopharmacology, 2004 Jun; 18 (2): 194-9 (The effect of 5-hydroxytryptophan on cholecystokinin-4-induced panic attacks in healthy volunteers)
- van Hiele LJ et al, l-5-Hydroxytryptophan in depression: the first substitution therapy in psychiatry? The treatment of 99 out-patients with 'therapy-resistant' depressions, Neuropsychobiology, 1980; 6 (4): 230-40, (L-5-hydroxytryptophan in depression: The first substitution therapy in psychiatry? The treatment of 99 outpatients with therapy-resistant depression)
- (1) Oliviero Bruni, Raffaele Ferri, Silvia Miano, Elisabetta Verrillo, L-5-Hydroxytryptophan treatment of sleep terrors in children, Eur J Pediatr (2004) 163: 402-407
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2020 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- Jontron clips excuse me, what a bear
- Howard Heck Sal woman paintball marker
- Splatterhouse ps3 how to unlock original games
- 1 idli how many grams
- Fiat 126 engine vibration when accelerating
- Fabulosas frases para whatsapp de desamor
- How to evolve eevee to espeon platinum
- Who is a Renee Dollar Artist
- How to refresh kidneys and high blood
- What does nawasi mean
- What is your biggest weakness Quiz Quotev
- What are sulfating agents
- Lihp design cosmetics wholesale
- How to Play Yakuza 5 Western
- Doyle doesn't fit how big
- Pay Whatsapp in Croatia
- Esso logo colors and what they mean
- How to list certification on resume
- WhatsApp for Lava d136
- 2006 wildcat 31qbh specs howard
- In mork what was mork's hand sign
- Jordan n0thing gilbert csgo config how to do it
- How do I get my Nedbank account number
- William Higham wholesale flowers Wigan and Leigh